SOCS 325 Midterm Exam 2016
SOCS 325 Midterm Exam – Multiple Choice
- (TCO 1) Which of the following is a predicted outcome of continued global warming socs 325 midterm ?
- (TCO 2)The realist-constructionist debate in environmental sociology is characterized by differences in materialist versus idealist explanations of social life. Which of the following distinguishes a constructionist perspective on environment problems?
- (TCO 3)The 1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to three scientists whose work led to discovery of the causes for the thinning of the earth’s atmosphere by chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Which of the following was NOT one of these scientists?
- (TCO 4)Who is/was the “original affluent society” according to Marshall Sahlins?
- (TCO 5)The hau of material objects refers to:
- (TCO 6)What has been the result of air quality from strict emission controls?
- (TCO 7)According to Malthus, population grows:
- (TCO 7)Which of the following does Sen claim will NOT insure food availability?
- (TCO 3)What percentage of the world’s original forests remain?
- (TCO 5)According to your text, what is the leading cause of death in the U.S. for individuals between the ages of 1 and 35?
- (TCO 1)Define environmental sociology and what environmental sociologists study. If you were an environmental sociologist, explain your daily day. Compare and contrast how environmental sociologists differ from other types of sociologists. socs 325 midterm exam
- (TCO 2)Describe the environments impact on race, poverty, and disempowerment. Explain how this impacts human inequality and how it creates a community of haves and have nots. Compare and contrast some ways you would solve some of these issues of inequality.
- (TCO 4)Describe how consumption and materialism impact the physical environment? Give a few examples. Can our society continue to practice materialism and at the same time still become more sustainable? What are some things we over consume?
- (TCO 6) Describe the economics and politics of implementing green technology in our society. Why are we so slow to move toward this type of green technology and away from petroleum? Compare and contrast which forms of green technology might realistically be built in the next 10 years. Which ones do you think need to wait until a future to be built, and why?
- (TCO 7)Describe in detail our population’s impact on poverty. Provide a few detailed examples. Explain how environmental sociologists think we can solve issues of poverty. How do you think we can solve worldwide poverty?