SOCS 185 Final Exam – Question with Answers
- (TCO 8) _____ is the incidence of childbearing in a country’s population, while _____ refers to maximum possible childbearing.
- (TCO 8) According to Emile Durkheim, while traditional, rural societies were built on _____, modern urban societies are held together by _____.
- (TCO 3) The concept of modernity refers to changes in social patterns brought on by which of the following?
- (TCO 3) What is an appropriate criticism of the Logic of Growth arguments?
- (TCO 8) The environmental racism thesis falls within which theoretical approach?
- (TCO 3) David Riesman believes that pre-industrial societies promote _____, while modern societies promote _____.
- (TCO 3) Which theory states that social movements arise among people who feel they lack enough income, basic rights, or human dignity?
- (TCO 8) Medical science can keep a person’s body alive, on machines, long after their vital organs have failed. However, there is no agreement among religious and ethical leaders about how to decide when to unplug those machines. This example illustrates _____.
- (TCO 3) The concept postmodernity refers to which of the following?
- (TCO 8) Of the various types of social movements, which is least threatening to the status quo?
- (TCOs 1, 2, 3, and 4) Explain the steps in the process of carrying out sociological investigation. What specific questions must be answered as a researcher moves through their investigation?
- (TCOs 3 and 8) You have been asked by a committee of student success coaches to investigate why the rate at which freshman students post to their course threaded discussions is lower than the rate for other groups of students. Explain how the social-conflict perspective would analyze and explain the low posting rate. (In other words, consider the contributing factors that the social-conflict perspective would focus on in trying to explain the reasons for the low rate of students posting to their threads.) Then discuss a solution that a conflict theorist might use to encourage freshman students to post.
- (TCOs 6 and 7) Contrast mass-society theory with class-society theory and give a criticism of each.
- (TCOs 3, 4, and 6) Identify and describe the three leadership styles. Provide examples of these styles in society.
- (TCOs 5, 6, and 8) Define and give examples of ascribed status, achieved status, master status, role conflic,t and role strain.