RELI 448N Week 8 Final Exam
- (TCO 1) The word religion literally means:
- (TCO1) The position that argues that we cannot know whether there is a god or not is known as
- (TCO2) Who was the German theologian who argued in the Idea of the Holy that religions emerge when people experience that aspect of reality which is essentially mysterious?
- (TCO 4) Who was the Scottish anthropologist &author of The
- (TCO 4) What is the name of the Austrian ethnographer and philologist who argued that all humankind once believed in a single High God &that to this simple monotheism later beliefs in lesser gods &spirits were added?
- (TCO 8) Vedic religion was:
- (TCO 8) The power of a god is often symbolized by:
- (TCO 9) Hinduism, as formulated in the Upanishads,
- (TCO 10) Both Jainism &Sikhism:
- (TCO 8) According to the Buddha, his teachings must be:
- (TCO 8) Once a person reaches nirvana:
- (TCO 8 ) The Chinese word for “righteousness,””benevolence,” “humanity-at-its-best” is:
- (TCO8) Confucius thought the most important relationship was:
- (TCO 9) Which is not a Daoist value?
- (TCO9) In Zhuangzi’s (ChuangTzu’s) famous dream, he was not certain that he was not:
- (TCO 5) All of the following ancient world religions are minor
- (TCO 11) Sikhism is characterized by:
- (TCO 6) A contract between the Hebrews &their God was called a:
- (TCO 6) The sacred core of the Hebrew Bible is called the:
- (TCO6)A joyful spring festival that recalls the Hebrews’ exodus from Egypt & freedom from oppression is:
- (TCO 7) Jesus sometimes summed up his teachings in:
- (TCO 7) The most Jewish of the Gospels is:
- (TCO6)Muhammad’s job before he became a prophet was a:
- (TCO4) Compare & contrast Sigmund Freud’s theory about the origin of religions with William James’s theory. How does each of these psychologists view religion (positively or negatively)? Now analyze how the insights of Freudor James might illuminate your religious tradition or the tradition with which you are the most familiar. How would Freud or James underst&that tradition? Use specific examples to support your answer (e.g., a specific belief or ritual).
- (TCO 9) Identify &analyze the Four Noble Truths, in particular, the Noble Eight fold Path. What ideas from Hinduism did Buddhism essentially keep? Describe them. Include enough details to support your answer.
- (TCO 3) Explain &evaluate Thomas Aquinas’Cosmological
- (TCO11) Identify&analyze three basic patterns in indigeneous religions. Use examples from traditional Hawaiian religion to support your answer.