poli 330n week 6
POLI 330N Week 6 CO Assessment (02 Version)
- (TCO 7) What is your final plan to present to the president? What changes did you decide to implement?
- (TCO 7) Please explain why you chose the options that you did.
- (TCO 7) How will your decisions affect the elderly, the poor, the rich, and national security if implemented?
- (TCO 7) Was covering the hypothetical budget gap more or less difficult than you expected? Please explain.
- (TCO 7) Which of your decisions might be perceived as politically motivated? Why?
- (TCO 7) What are the trade-offs of preserving some programs while protecting others?
- (TCO 7) How do your decisions result in a marginal benefit to society so that they can outweigh the marginal cost to society?
- (TCO 7) Did doing this exercise change your feelings about the budget debate in Washington? If so, how? If not, why not
POLI 330N Week 6 Discussion 1:Welfare Systems
Examine the efficacy of U.S. welfare programs. What do such programs intend to accomplish? What are some criticisms against them? Be sure to cite specific academic examples, not just ones from your opinion.
POLI 330N Week 6 Discussion 2: Ethnic Violence
In discussing the concept of violence this week, let’s take a moment to consider the following situation. Imagine a country where religious factions inside a nation want to have their own separate homeland. The government refuses, claiming the territory in question, which commands the nation’s only source of clean water, is vital to security. Is violence inevitable?
POLI 330N Week 6 Quiz (02 Versions)
- (TCO 7) Describe how today’s conservatives use the term “political economy.”
- (TCO 7) Early 20th-century European governments subscribed to _____ doctrines, generally keeping their hands away from the economy.
- (TCO 7) President Jimmy Carter attempted to stimulate the economy, but this made inflation worse. This led him to _____.
- (TCO 7) Between 1965 and 1973, the percentage of Americans living below the poverty line _____.
- (TCO 7) Which U.S. President is responsible for implementing the Food Stamp program nationwide?
- (TCO 7) Medical costs consume nearly _____% of the U.S. gross domestic product, most of it paid through government and private health insurance.
- (TCO 7) According to political scientist Ira Sharkansky, “All modern states are welfare states, and all welfare states are _____.”
- (TCO 7) How might Americans’ reluctance toward entitlement programs benefit them in the long run?
- (TCO 7) Most liberals feel that the poverty line is _____.
- (TCO 7) Theoretically, what are the consequences if the government assumes the burden of bad loans?