NR 507 Week 5 Case Study
Ms. Blake is an older adult with diabetes and has been too ill to get out of bed for 2 days. She has had a severe cough and has been unable to eat or drink during this time. She has a history of Type I diabetes. On admission her laboratory values show:
- What is the etiology of Diabetic Ketoacidosis?
- Describe the pathophysiological process of Diabetic Ketoacidosis?
- Identify the hallmark symptoms of Diabetic Ketoacidosis?
- Identify any abnormal lab results provided in the case and explain why these would be abnormal given the patient’s condition.
- What teaching would you provide this patient to avoid heart failure symptoms?
- What teaching would you provide this patient to avoid diabetic ketoacidosis?