MGT 3640 Midterm Exam – Organizational Communication (30 points ½ point each item)
- Communication is
- Your text states that communication is a process. This means that
- Which of the following describes most accurately the potential of effective communication?
- The activity of selecting words and/or nonverbal to express your ideas is known as
- The channel of communication that has the highest level of nonverbal “richness” is
- Which of the following is a disadvantage of using face-to-face communication over other communication channels?
- The channel of communication recommended for messages of a highly personal nature is
- Which type of communication should be used if you are presenting ideas when you need to gather instantaneous feedback?
- An open-door policy and suggestion boxes are examples of ways to encourage
- The CEO has promised all employees a 5% raise next year if they will forego a raise this year. The CEO’s administrative assistant tells you during a coffee break that there will probably be no raise next year either, despite the CEO’s promises. The assistant’s words illustrate the __________ function of informal communication.
- Which of the following best describes the way cultural values develop?
- Eye contact indicates
- The preferred means of dealing with conflict is to
- The ADA guarantees that people with disabilities
- Which of the following is appropriate behavior for communicating with a person with a disability?
- One guideline for interacting with people who have a disability is:
- In some cultures, employees have a great deal of respect for persons in positions of authority. This cultural dimension is called
- In order to learn about other cultures, which of the following is not necessary?
- Which of the following is NOT recommended as a way to improve your own communication with members of other cultures?
- In organizations with a diverse workforce, it is usually constructive to
- Listening skill contributes to career success in all of the following aspects EXCEPT
- A survey of 1000 executives ranked _____________ at the top, as the ideal manager’s skill.
- Which of the following are common results of listening mistakes?
- According to Peter Drucker, a management expert, effective communication is
- Adam believes that he is a good listener because he doesn’t interrupt others. However, Adam doesn’t paraphrase or ask clarifying questions of the speaker, and he doesn’t attend to the speaker’s nonverbal cues. Adam is mistakenly assuming that
- The Platinum Rule admonishes us to
- Rhonda received a voice message marked “urgent,” but due to the poor quality of her phones’ speakers, she was not able to understand the message. Which barrier to listening does this problem represent?
- Katie is a supervisor for a calling center. She is experiencing a number of problems with her subordinates. They often bungle the instruction she provides, which results in additional work for her. After researching this problem, Katie determined that the reason her instructions were being misinterpreted is that she is giving instructions while the phones are ringing and the employees are filling out their time sheets. Which barrier to effective listening is the cause of Katie’s problem?
- Which is true about seeking clarification?
- Paraphrasing means
- Which of the following terms represents words that have more than one common meaning?
- John is the leader of a small work team that is responsible for developing new safety standards for a small construction company. The group has been having difficulty developing new standards because John’s instructions have been extremely unclear. He has stated a general goal, but he has not given the group any specific directions. John could probably improve this group’s ability to complete its task if he would ________________.
- Which of the following is NOT an equivocal phrase for expressing time?
- A good way to reduce equivocal misunderstandings is:
- Which of the following is an effective guideline for expressing messages clearly?
- Filler words such as “like,” “you know,” “umm,” and “yeah,”
- Nonverbal messages
- All of the following are politeness rules for those who share cubicles EXCEPT
- The distance that separates coworkers is referred to as mgt 3640 midterm exam
- You have just been hired as a manager. Unwisely, you want to send the message to anyone who comes to talk to you that you are in charge. How would you arrange your office?
- In a recent survey of 1,000 personnel directors in the United States, the top characteristic identified for ideal management was:
- A positive organizational climate
- The principal factor in shaping a communication climate is the mgt 3640 midterm exam
- Attitudes of superiority create disconfirming climates; attitudes of _______tend to create confirming climates
- Which of the following illustrates an effective critique of a co-worker’s performance?
- One constructive, non-defensive way to effectively respond to criticism directed at you is to
- If you disagree with another person’s critique of your performance, which of the following responses would be the most confirming?
- If you are the victim of a bully, one response that is never advisable is to
- The text outlines a number of channels for dealing with sexual harassment. All of the following are ….as possible responses except
- Which statement describes the win-win orientation to negotiating?
- Which of the following steps should come first in planning the interview?
- Structured interviews
- In which of the situations below would you choose an open question?
- The functions of an effective interview closing are to _____________________.
- According to a recent survey, which of the following is the most important in shaping a hiring decision?
- Which of the following should NOT be included in the cover letter you send to an organization along with your résumé?
- One survey indicates that the leading factor shaping interviewers’ initial impressions of the candidates is
- Which of the following does NOT influence the rating a candidate receives in a job interview?
- The “PAR” approach refers to
- Which of the following is NOT a rule for ethical behavior for interviewers?