HLT 605 Week 1 Assignment, Public Health Presentation
Design a PowerPoint presentation (6-8 slides) that includes the following components:
- Your definition of public health.
- An overview of Healthy People 2020 and your perspectives regarding at least one of the leading health concerns posed by Healthy People 2020.
HLT 605 Week 2 Assignment, Public Health Reform
Submit a paper (1,250-1,500 words) focusing on public health reform. Provide an overview of the current status of public health in the United States. Review a portion of the Affordable Care Act and present the strengths and weaknesses of the plan, as well as make suggestions for plan improvement.
HLT 605 Week 3 Assignment, Sample Budget
Create a small budget for a hypothetical state program based on priority health concerns from Healthy People 2020. In addition, create a narrative (2-4 sentences) that identifies the most appropriate federal funding source for your proposed program.
HLT 605 Week 5 Assignment, Online Database or Online Query-Based Report
Select a database from NCHS or complete a query using CDC WISQARS. Select a specific health concern or injury using the population of your choice. Be sure not to limit your query so you have enough data to evaluate, and include a substantial time frame so you are able to identify trends.
Submit a 750-1,000 word report that provides an overview the database or query results. The report should consist of a demographic description of the chosen population including a review of noticeable trends in morbidity and/or mortality by race, gender, and geographic location where specified. Based on the results and possible trends, present the implications for public health intervention or involvement.
In your report, include considerations of basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use, and dissemination of epidemiologic data. As Chapter 13 of the text describes, focus on privacy and security issues surrounding protected health information and how HIPAA protects the confidentiality of the patient. Consider the ethical implications of whether public health organizations have too much latitude in the use and dissemination of epidemiologic data.
This is a Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) assignment.
Each CLC group will be assigned one of the following public health emergencies to analyze: swine flu, shortages of influenza vaccine, anthrax, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Hurricane Katrina, California wildfires, syphilis outbreak, salmonella outbreak, and mass trauma (such as that associated with terrorists/bombings).
In a report format of 500-750 words, address the following:
- Describe the chain of command and the method of public health response that was conducted in this situation.
- Determine the important public health issues related to medical care in this situation.
- Describe the possible public health risks as well as the pros and cons of communicating the situation to the public and the media.
HLT 605 Week 8 Assignment, Community Prevention
Review your state public health department and environmental quality departments online to identify vector-related diseases affecting your community.
In a report format of 1,250-1,500 words, address the following:
- Describe the health concerns of the community.
- Identify current environmental risk assessment methods which apply to public health issues.
- Suggest a modifier or new prevention or intervention program based on your research.
- Create a sample program budget.
- Complete a SWOT analysis of the proposed program.