BIOS 252 Midterm Exam Essay Question
Chapter 10 and 11
- Identify and describe intracellular structures (organelles, myofilaments, ect.) of a muscle cell. Contrast skeletal, cardiac and smooth.
- Describe all phases of
- Describe the major functions of the three types of muscles and the differences between them.
- Outline the sequence of physiological events of a twitch starting at the motor neurons and ending with movement.
- Describe a neuromuscular junction and identify all major components.
- Describe the connective tissue “packaging” of muscle.
- Differentiate between isotonic, isometric, eccentric and concentric contractions.
- Describe how skeletal muscles acting across synovial joints function as a lever system. Discriminate between 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class levers in the human body(provide an example of each)
- Identify the muscles involved in relaxed and forced breathing and describe their role.
- Identify the anatomy of a neuron
- Describe the functional and structural classification of neurons.
- Identify and describe the major divisions of the nervous system.
- List and describe the function/location of all neuroglia cells bios 252 midterm exam
- Explain how excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters work on the postsynaptic membrane and give one example of each.
- Describe all steps of an action potential, including initiation by local potential.
- Understand the mechanism of IPSPs and EPSPs.
- Describe the basic anatomy of a spinal cord section, indicating the functional significance of each area/major tract.
- Explain the similarities and differences of a spinal withdrawal reflex and a crossed extensor reflex.