BIAM 500 Discussion Questions
BIAM-500 Discussion Questions Week 1, Business Intelligence
Read “End-of-Chapter Application Case: Nationwide Insurance Used BI to Enhance Customer Service” at the end of Chapter 1 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- Why did Nationwide need an enterprise-wide data warehouse?
- How did integrated data drive the business value?
- What forms of analytics are employed at Nationwide?
- With integrated data available in an enterprise data warehouse, what other applications could Nationwide potentially develop?
BIAM 500 Discussion Questions Week 2, Data Modeling and Decision Making
Read the end-of-chapter application case “HP Applies Management Science Modeling to Optimize Its Supply Chain and Wins a Major Award” at the end of Chapter 10 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- Describe the problem that a large company, such as HP, might face in offering many product lines and options.
- Why is there a possible conflict between marketing and operations?
- Summarize your understanding of the models and the algorithms used in this case.
- What benefits did HP derive from implementation of these models?
BIAM 500 Week 3, Text Mining and Social Media Analysis
Read the end-of-chapter application case “BBVA Seamlessly Monitors and Improves its Online Reputation” at the end of Chapter 7 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- How did BBVA use text mining?
- What were BBVA’s challenges, and how did BBVA overcome them with text mining and social media analysis?
- In what other areas do you think BBVA could use text mining?
BIAM 500 Week 4, Strategies and Performance
Read the end-of-chapter application case “Smart Business Reporting Helps Healthcare Providers Deliver Better Care” at the end of Chapter 4 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- What is Premier, and what does it do?
- What-were the main challenges for Premier to achieve its vision?
- What was the solution provided by IBM and other partners?
- What-were the results and benefits from Premier’s adoption of the integrated system described in the case?
BIAM 500 Week 5, Big Data Analytics
Read the end-of-chapter application case “Discovery Health Turns Big Data into Better Healthcare” at the end of Chapter 13 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- How big is big data for Discovery Health?
- What big data sources did Discovery Health use for their analytic solutions?
- What-were the main data/analytics challenges Discovery Health was facing?
- What were the main solutions they have produced?
- What-were the initial results/benefits, and what additional benefits do you think Discovery Health may realize from big data analytics in the future?
BIAM 500 discussion questions Week 6, Data Mining
Read the end-of-chapter application case “Coors Improves Beer Flavors with Neural Networks” at the end of Chapter 6 in our textbook, and respond to the following questions.
- Why is beer flavor important to Coors’ profitability?
- What is the objective of the neural network used at Coors?
- Why were the results of Coors’ neural network initially poor, and what was done to improve the results?
- What benefits might Coors derive if this project is successful?
- What modifications would you make to improve the results of beer flavor prediction?
BIAM 500 Discussion Questions Week 7, Emerging Trends in Analytics and Business Intelligence
Post a one or two paragraph summary of the emerging trend in BI and analytics that you chose to write about for your Course Project paper, describing the most important or interesting things you have learned about it so far. Why did you choose this topic to write about? What is the most surprising thing you found during your research? How does your topic relate to other topics chosen by your classmates?